Select to view full size 2008 DLRA Lake Gairdner Speed Week

REPORT Report  Results  Photos 

3rd - 7th March 2008


After an inspection of Lake Gairdner by representatives of the DLRA and Rangers from the South Australian Department of Environment and Heritage, on Friday 7th February 2008 and again on Saturday 8th February 2008. It has been decided to indefinitely postpone the 2008 DLRA Speed Week.


As anyone who has organised an event will realise it is very difficult to get everything to happen exactly when you want it to, so it is with Speed Week. There are a large number of permissions and approvals obtained from a wide variation of authorities, added to this we have the complexity of wanting the lake in a condition suitable to race safely. Here's where we stand right now. With winter approaching and the lake still unsuitable, there is no chance of conducting a race meeting in the comming months. When would be the first available opportunity? We have it on good account that the lake always has water over in in October, also Mt. Ive Station will be very busy in October with the sheep, so October is out. They also have a number of bookings already for the remainder of the year, so we would be “fitting-in” with existing bookings.
We would also be unlikely to get approval from the Dept. of Environment and Heritage in the short term as any future racing is dependent upon the formation and registration of a Indigenous Land Use Agreement. There have been no formal discussions yet and as I understand it these will take place (with DLRA representation) in the coming months. The DRLA committee will be concentrating their efforts in this area in the coming months as the ILUA has the most impact on future events at Lake Gairdner.
So the very earliest would be November. A track inspection will be arranged for that time but no other arrangements will be made until we definitely know we have a track to race on. We know how keen you guys are to race and thank you for you patience and understanding.
On the good news front, the Queensland guys (now the Queensland Timing Association) are a long way down the track to organising some test and tune days. Keep an eye on the forum for more news about this.
We now also have the new Phone Information Line 0435 213 785 for those not near or familar with computers.

06/03/2008 Just rang the camp and spoke to Rob Carroll. (midday 6th March 2008)
There is no way that we could run a meeting with the current conditions. The main problems are; * The ramp, which is still soft and whilst you could get a couple of cars over it, could not withstand the constant traffic of Speed Week, especially the Trucks. It would cut up very quickly (see concerns below) * The variable hardness of the salt on the track. There are some parts that are quite good, but there are other parts where you can kick up the salt with your boot. This softness is especially around the 4 and 5 mile mark, several competitors remarking this is not where you want to be changing gears, or reaching your top speed. Could or would lead to blown motors through over reving due to the softness of the salt.
There was about 15 guys (competitors and officials) went out on 2 quad bikes (with trailers) on Monday, they went right up and down the track and the conclusions were unanimous. There was another inspection on Wednesday.
It is better than what is was 3 weeks ago, but still not dry enough for long enough.
Uncertain if the Lake was still officially closed as there was no chain at the ramp which is what DEH said they would do.

There was a long meeting with the Newtons on the Monday night. As you can imagine many items discussed. Once of the outcomes is that there will strictly be no further structures at the DLRA camp. Len is still waiting on a report from a Pastoral Board inspection in September last year, where the inspectors visited the camp. There has also been no liaison with Indigenous representatives at this stage.
During these discussions the DLRA was made aware of the fact that the area surrounding the ramp is where anyone and everyone visiting the Lake comes for the view, especially for the sunsets. And there are more and more people coming each year. We could ill afford to leave this area with ruts or soil discoloration.
Given this new information a solution might be to build a new access road and ramp further to the north, out of site of the current ramp. There was some time spent identifying a suitable location and several sites identified, there would be some construction work required and of course permissions would need to be granted from all interested parties. Early days but this option will be followed through.

Lastly the option of an alternative date was discussed. The reality is that whilst the competitors are willing and available at the drop of the proverbial, it is all the support teams that are most difficult to organize and commit to a date. This includes surveyors, fire crews, medical crews, officials. Not to mention the Newtons they already have a heavily booked calendar for most of the rest of the year. Starting with the sheep next week. It's not impossible but is is very difficult. And the trouble is if we were to keep monitoring the Lake and we did decide on a date, what's to say that with winter approaching we don't get some more rain between calling the meeting and the date of the meeting.
Well that's about it. Sorry it's not better news.


This decision has not been taken lightly, and in consideration of the wasted travels made by many competitors last year it was deemed appropriate to make a decision at this time. It is understood that there are some international vehicles in transit now and their departure was guided by the best information available at that time.

Using GPS an inspection of the track surface was undertaken at each mile mark, the salt was soft enough for a large screwdriver to be pushed in by hand. Where vehicles had driven over the salt, the depression left by the tyres immediately filled with water. On the Friday a DEH 4WD got bogged at the northern end of the course, fortunately they had a satellite phone and were able to contact DLRA members who brought out the necessary equipment to effect a difficult recovery.
It should be noted at the inspection at the lake in December 2007 by DLRA members even thought there was surface water, it took up to 5 blows of a mallet to drive a sharpened spike on 25mm into the salt.

Several teams are still planning on going out to the Lake around the 3rd March 2008, another inspection of the lake and track surface will take place at that time. It is not anticipated that the surface will be suitable at this time, so further inspections are planned of later in the year.

The issue of cancellation or postponement was discussed by approx 70 members at a meeting in Melbourne on 10/02/2008. There was overwhelming support to conduct a meeting later in the year if conditions were favorable. There are a number of other considerations to be taken into account for another date including the Newtons giving their approval, fire and safety crews availability, surveyors being able to mark the track at short notice and many, many other details.

The Test and Tune day at Mangalore was considered by all to be very successful and gave a lot of new vehicles the opportunity for a shakedown, saving valuable time and expense. There will be another Test and Tune day at Mangalore, date to be announced, Queensland are also looking for a venue.

There will be further announcements as and when inspections of the lake take place. Any news will be posted on this page, placed on the DLRA Forum and distributed via the mailing list

RESULTS Report  Results  Photos 
PHOTOS 1 Report  Results  Photos 


Wiring harnesses Australia Prancing Pony Brewery Mastec Hare and Forbes Machineryhouse DAM Classic Racing Coffee Snobs Salt Pig Racing Cruzin Magazine Aussie Desert Cooler GMK Logistics Nifty Computing

Support the DLRA


Check us out on